Inward Buyer Programme
Horse Sport Ireland provides refunds of air or ferry travel costs to the purchasers of horses and ponies registered in a studbook licensed by the Department of Agriculture in the Republic of Ireland in respect of horses or ponies for export at auction sales, or at certain international shows, subject to the conditions outlined below:
- Rate of Refund for Airfare
The maximum rate of refund is as follows:
Great Britain claimants – €65
European mainland claimants – €160
USA & Australia claimants – €415
Other countries – refund to be decided on application
Note: The refund rate cannot exceed the cost of the ticket
An application form must be completed by the applicant and by a representative of the sales company or international show. Please note that there are separate application forms for auction sales (Form A) and shows (Form B).
A copy of the travel ticket must be supplied to support each claim (including both inward and outward journeys). In relation to auction sales, the relevant buyer’s invoice/sales docket must also be included to support each claim.
- Purchase Price
- In order for eligibility under this Programme the purchase price per lot (Per horse) must exceed €2,500 before taxes and Value Added Tax (VAT) where applicable.
- The purchase price per lot (per pony as catalogued by the auction sales or at certain international shows to the purchaser) must exceed €1,500 before taxes and Value Added Tax (VAT) where applicable.
- The Programme shall apply to a purchaser who buys three or more lots (horse/pony) per sales day exceeding a cumulative value of €6,000 before taxes and Value Added Tax (VAT) where applicable.
In the case of buyers travelling together by ferry in a car or lorry, Horse Sport Ireland will make refunds subject to the following conditions:
- Presentation of the ferry ticket for the car/lorry (including both inward and outward journeys) and, where a available, passenger boarding cards
- Completion of the relevant section of the application form by each claimant, stating the names and addresses of each claimant travelling together
- The combined refund for all claimants travelling together in a car/lorry will not exceed the cost of the ticket
In relation to buyers who travel by ferry and who purchase and export five or more horses/ponies, a maximum refund of €325 will apply, provided the ferry ticket cost €325 or more. A pro rata refund applies to the purchase or one or more horses, i.e. €65 per horse/pony. The objective is to encourage individuals to make multiple purchases.
Auctions include Goresbridge, Cavan, Claremorris, Goresbridge Go For Gold Sales, Monart Elite Event Horse Sale, Clifden Connemara Pony Breeders Sales, Connemara Pony Elite Sales Group (CPESG) and Midland Connemara Pony Breeders Sales. All claims must be submitted within two months following the date of the purchase at the sale. Claims made after that date may not be processed. Applications for claim must be sent by the applicant directly to Horse Sport Ireland, First Floor, Beech house, Millennium Park, Osberstown, Naas, Co. Kildare for processing.
- International Shows Held in Ireland
Shows include Royal Dublin Horse Show (RDS), Mullingar International, Ballindenisk International Horse Trials, Millstreet International, Mallow International Horse Trials, Camphire International Horse Trials, Tattersalls International, Downpatrick International Endurance, Balmoral International & Cavan International.
Applications are sent by the applicant directly to Horse Sport Ireland. A separate application form (Form B) is used for international shows and must include the following:
- Studbook Registration number and catalogue number of the horse/pony
- Certification from a veterinary surgeon that the horse has reached its destination. This does not apply where the log sheet of the itinerary, or the airway bill, and or/or travel certificate are supplied by the shipping agent