HSI Level 2 Coach course – 10/11/12 February 2014
- 21 January 2014, 09:54
HSI has scheduled a Level 2 course to begin at Spruce Lodge Training Facility, Redcross, Co. Wicklow and Grange Farm, Drumargan, Kilcock, Co. Meath on the following dates. The course is an 8 day course in total and further dates will be added shortly.
- Monday 10th February 2014 @ Spruce Lodge Training Facility, Redcross, Co. Wicklow
- Tuesday 11th February 2014 @ Spruce Lodge Training Facility, Redcross, Co. Wicklow
- Wednesday 12th February 2014 @ Grange Farm, Drumlargan, Kilcock, Co. Meath
The HSI Level 2 Coach course provides coaches with the necessary skills and technical knowledge to work as an independent equestrian coach up to elementary level dressage, 1.20m show jumping and CCI1* – 2* Eventing. This course is a progression from the HSI Level 1 Apprentice Coach course and is the first level at which a coach will be qualified as an independent equestrian coach.
Coaches must have completed the HSI Level 1 Apprentice Coach course
OR be a qualified BHSII and be currently on the BHS Register of Instructors
- Coaches must be over 21 years of age
- Coaches must have access to horses and riders at the required level
Coaches must provide:
- Occupational First Aid (FETAC Level 5) / BHS Equine Specific First Aid Certificate
- Child Protection Basic Awareness course certificate
- Application for Garda Vetting
Duration: The course takes place over 8 days. The first three days are run consecutively when all of the exercises are demonstrated and explained in the disciplines of dressage, show jumping and eventing. 3 to 4 months later, candidates must attend the Level 2 Pre Assessments which last 2 days. Candidates must bring their own horse(s) and rider(s), capable of working at the required standard to coach one session in each of the three disciplines. Candidates are given feedback on their coaching skills and clear advice and guidance on improving their skills. The next stage is the final assessments where candidates once again bring their own students to coach. The final assessments are carried out by independent outside assessors.
Certification: Candidates attend all course contact time, including the pre assessments.
- Candidates must submit the following:
- Pre Course Questionnaire
- Mid-Course Questionnaire
- Event Attendance Sheet
- Log Books – practical coaching sessions in each discipline
Coaches must meet the required level of competency in all three disciplines in the final assessments. Coaches will then be awarded the HSI Level 2 Coach certificate, issued jointly by HSI and Coaching Ireland. The Level 2 coach will be certified to teach independently.