Olympians and World Champions among Senior Eventing Squad named for the European Championships
- 31 July 2019, 16:55
Horse Sport Ireland’s High-Performance Eventing Director, Sally Corscadden has named the squad that will represent Ireland at the 2019 European Eventing Championships later this month in Luhmuhlen (GER) from 29th August to 1st September).
The squad in alphabetical order is as follows:
- Clare Abbott riding Euro Prince (ISH) – 2003 chestnut gelding by Lougheries Quiet Man (UNK) out of Miss Tullydraw (UNK). Owner/Bred by Cormac McKay, Co. Armagh
- Cathal Daniels riding Rioghan Rua (ISH) – 2007 chestnut mare by Jack Of Diamonds (SWB) out of Highland Destiny (ISH)(TIH), by Flagmount King (ID). Bred by Margaret Kinsella, Co. Galway. Owner: Frank & Margaret Kinsella
- Sarah Ennis riding Woodcourt Garrison (ISH) – 2009 bay gelding by Garrison Royal (ISH) out of Davitt Star (ISH), by Furisto (HANN). Bred by Patrick J Kearns, Co. Laois. Owner: Breda Kennedy
- Ciaran Glynn riding November Night (ISH)(TIH) – 2006 bay mare by Bonnie Prince (TB) out of Coolnalee Kate (ISH), by Flagmount King (ID). Bred by Pat Doherty, Co. Waterford. Owner: Susanna Francke & Peter Cole
- Sam Watson riding Imperial Sky (ISH)(TIH) – 2006 grey gelding by Puissance (ISH)(TIH) out of Skies Of Blue (ISH)(TIH), by Horos (TB). Bred by Carolyn Lanigan-O’Keeffe, Co. Kilkenny. Owner: Cathy Byrne & Hannah Watson OR Tullabeg Flamenco (ISH) – 2009 dun gelding by Tullabeg Fusion (ISH) out of Tullabeg Heidi (UNK), by Ardenteggle Sir (IPSA). Bred by Nicholas Cousins, Co. Wexford. Owner: Vahe Bogossian.
Speaking about her team selection for the 2019 European Eventing Championships, Horse Sport Ireland’s High-Performance Eventing Director, Sally Corscadden said: “This year has been about building on our success from the 2018 World Equestrian Games (WEG) in Tryon, where Ireland won Team and Individual Silver Medals and became the first Irish sports team to secure Olympic qualification for Tokyo 2020.
“The bar in European Eventing is set very high, so we are sending experienced combinations to represent Team Ireland at the Europeans. We can be full of confidence going to Luhmulhen with four-star International wins earlier in the year from European squad members Sam Watson and Cathal Daniels and we had a great team result last weekend at our home Nations Cup in Camphire.
“Fellow European squad members, Ciaran Glynn and Clare Abbott produced top-class performances in Badminton, one of only six annual International five-star events, and Sarah Ennis, part of the silver medal-winning WEG team, is a proven Championship rider. We are in the lucky position to have our full WEG management team accompanying us to the Europeans, with the new addition of Grant Wilson, replacing Ian Fearon as show jumping coach.”
Related news stories