Apply for a prefix
A prefix may be registered for the sole and exclusive use to the breeder on their own home bred animals subject to a payment of €62/£45.
- The prefix should be a geographical name or a distinctive word or name.
- A prefix may have a maximum of 20 letters, and two word prefixes are not accepted.
- Initials can be accepted, with a minimum of three letters.
- Breed names are not allowed.
The individual names of ownership of the prefix must be stated in the application form. Please note that it is advisable to mention all the individuals (i.e. members of the family) that will own the prefix as there is a cost to add names to the ownership of the prefix once the certificate of ownership of the prefix has been issued.
The fee of €62 is an once off payment. There is however an additional charge of €43 if a change is made to the prefix, or if there is a change of ownership of the prefix. There are further charges if the prefix is to be used with other Societies.
If you have any questions about the registration process please contact the HSI Registration Unit
HSI Registrations Unit office hours:
- Open to the public from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday)
- Telephone calls from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday) – 045 850800
- For urgent registrations applications must be lodged by 11am with the HSI Registration Unit.