Request Duplicate Passport
If you have lost your passport and are sure that the animal was registered with the Irish Horse Register, we can provide you with a duplicate as long as the animal is not resident in the UK. To apply, you will just need your vet to mark the horse up on a Horse Sport Ireland marking chart (your vet should have these) and complete the duplicate form (available here). Send both of these up to us and we can complete the duplicate.
Some commonly asked questions around Duplicates
I just bought a new horse that didn’t come with a passport, do they have one already?
- Check on our chip checker.
What might delay the application?
- I wasn’t the owner in the old passport. What happens now?
- If you were not the registered owner of the horse, you will have to submit a transfer of ownership form with you duplicate application. We will then have to contact the registered owner and give them 10 days to request that a duplicate not be released.
- The microchip can’t be found.
- If your vet can not find a microchip registered on our database (check our chip checker here), there is two situations.
- If your horse has pedigree recorded and has DNA on file, we will ask for a hair sample to test against their previous DNA sample.
- If your horse has no pedigree recorded, we will have to issue a new passport as there is no evidence linking to the previous passport.
- My passport has been destroyed, such as water damaged or ripped do I have to get a duplicate?
- If you still have a passport that is not longer usable, you can apply for a duplicate, but you will not have to pay the duplicate passport fee. As long as we can see that at least half of the passport is readable we can issue a replacement.
HSI Registrations Unit office hours:
- Open to the public from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday)
- The phone line is open from 9am to 4.30pm (Monday to Friday), with the exception of Wednesday when we open at 09.30 to facilitate staff training. Please note the phone lines will be closed from 1pm to 2pm for lunch – 045 850800
- For urgent registrations applications must be lodged by 11am with the HSI Registration Unit.