Register a foal
Please view the video below on how to register a new account for the IHR Online database
Please view below video as to how to declare a covering for your mare on IHR Online
Before registering a foal in the Irish Sport Horse or Irish Draught Horse Studbook, both the sire and the dam of the foal must be registered in the Irish Horse Register and the foal must be eligible to be included in the Studbook. On receipt of a correctly complete covering certificate, Horse Sport Ireland will automatically issue a foal kit to the registered owner of the dam.
With effect from 1st January 2016, equines will be required to be identified with an identification document that is issued in accordance with Article 9 of the Commission Regulation 262/2015. A person, when making an application for an identification document from an issuing body approved by the Minister, shall submit fully completed application documents to the appropriate issuing body within 6 months of the date of birth of the equine (SI 62 of 2016). Equines are excluded from the food chain where the identification document is not issued within 12 months of the date of birth (or in instances where applications are not made within six months (Regulation 16(7) of SI 62 of 2016) resulting in where issues of concern to the PIO cannot be addressed in time for the identification document to be issued.
STEP 1: CALL YOUR VET
Upon receipt of your foal kit you will need to call out your vet. Contained within the foal kit will be:
- Marking chart for the foal – this must be completed by the vet, who will also microchip your foal and attach the microchip bar code to the marking chart. Please ensure that only a HSI Microchip is inserted into your foal. Horse Sport Ireland issues microchips to vets for animals that will be registered in the IHR.
- DNA hair sample bag – in order to DNA type your foal, the vet will remove a hair sample from the foal and place it in the sample bag. The sample bag must then be sent to Weatherby’s Ireland for DNA testing. Where the dam of the foal has not been previously DNA typed, the foal kit will also contain a hair sample bag for the dam, which again must be returned to Weatherby’s.
- Return envelopes – you will receive a return envelope for your foal’s marking chart (return to HSI), your foal’s DNA hair sample bag (return to Weatherby’s) and, where applicable, for the dam’s DNA hair sample bag (return to Weatherby’s).
- Information leaflet – detailing the steps as outlined above.
STEP 2: SEND YOUR FOAL MARKING CHART TO HSI WITH FEE
Once your vet has completed the marking chart for your foal and attached the microchip barcode, you will need to return the marking chart to Horse Sport Ireland with the appropriate fee (shown on the form) in the return envelope provided.
STEP 3: YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR IRISH SPORT HORSE STUDBOOK PASSPORT
Once HSI has received your foal’s marking chart, correct passport fee plus the DNA result from Weatherby’s, the foal’s passport will be posted to the registered owner of the dam.
If you have any questions about the registration process please contact the HSI Registration Unit
HSI Registrations Unit office hours:
- Open to the public from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday)
- Telephone calls from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday) – 045 850800
- For urgent registrations applications must be lodged by 11am with the HSI Registration Unit.