Register an adult animal (with pedigree)
Before registering a horse in the Irish Sport Horse or Irish Draught Horse Studbook, both the sire and the dam of the animal must be registered in the Irish Horse Register and the animal must be eligible to be included in the Studbook. Both the sire and the dam must have been DNA tested to confirm parentage of your horse. Horse Sport Ireland must have received a covering certificate from the stallion owner.
STEP 1: CONTACT HORSE SPORT IRELAND
Please contact Horse Sport Ireland on 045 850 800 and order a DNA kit.
STEP 2: CALL YOUR VET
Upon receipt of your DNA kit, you will need to call out your vet. Contained within the kit will be:
- Marking chart for the horse – this must be completed by the vet, who will also microchip your horse and attach the microchip bar code to the marking chart. Please ensure that only a HSI Microchip is inserted into your horse. Horse Sport Ireland issues microchips to vets for animals that will be registered in the IHR.
- DNA hair sample bag – in order to DNA type your horse, the vet will remove a hair sample from the horse and place it in the sample bag.
- Return envelope – you will receive a return envelope for your horse’s marking chart and your horse’s DNA hair sample bag, you will need to return these to Horse Sport Ireland (HSI) with the appropriate fee.
- Information leaflet – detailing the steps as outlined above.
STEP 3: YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR IRISH SPORT HORSE STUDBOOK PASSPORT
Once HSI has received your horse’s marking chart, DNA result and correct passport fee, the horse’s passport will be posted to the registered owner of the animal.
If you have any questions about the registration process please contact the HSI Registration Unit
HSI Registrations Unit office hours:
- Open to the public from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday)
- The phone line is open from 9am to 4.30pm (Monday to Friday), with the exception of Wednesday when we open at 09.30 to facilitate staff training. Please note the phone lines will be closed from 1pm to 2pm for lunch – 045 850800
- For urgent registrations applications must be lodged by 11am with the HSI Registration Unit.